Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pure White Linen



I've long wanted a so-called signature scent. A delicate wisp that would cling to my skin and clothing and be uniquely mine. It took me months to sample the perfumes that the department stores carried.

I knew that I wanted something as pleasant as Estee Lauder Pleasures
, but something less widely used (Just ask anyone: they all know what Pleasures smells like!) I wanted something floral and fresh... something sophisticated yet young. Something that would make hot days cooler and cool days warmer.

Estee Lauder Pure White Linen spoke to me from the bottle. I spritzed my wrist with Pure White Linen and as the droplets settled, I brought it to my nose and inhaled. The scent of raspberry tickled my nose. I immediately picked up on the mandarin top note as well. Letting it settle, I felt it bond with my body chemistry and, as it warmed, the perfume released floral notes. I couldn't quite detect them at the time, but--after having done some research-- now recognize the notes of rose, gardenia, and honeysuckle. My favorite part is that after a tiring day, the perfume stays on my skin and smells amazingly of tulips. Showering brings out the scent of tulips even more. Below is an excerpt from Estee Lauder categorizing this perfume:

Fragrance Type: Fruity Floral

Top Notes

Italian Mandarin
Cool Fresh Air Accord
Raspberry
Dewy Greens
White Freesia

Middle Notes
Red Tulip
Rose Absolute
Wild Honeysuckle
Gardenia Petals

Base Notes

White Cedarwood
Patchouli
White Heliotrope

What scared me after bringing the perfume home was that it was so diverse in its notes that I kept forgetting what it smelled like. Can you imagine? I couldn't remember my own signature scent!

It must have taken me a week before I could recognize it--because it is so mercurial, always changing. Which is a good thing. It is never tiring.


Sparkling and refreshing, it is one of my favorites.

Did it become my signature scent? No. I've realized that I cannot commit myself to just one perfume. I require variety that would suit different days, different moods, different behaviors. I'm a perfume whore.

And this post is strangely anti-climatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment